RGS Accredited Field Safety Course
This two day, RGS accredited, off site safety management course covers safety management of expeditions, fieldwork and all off-site visits It is perfect for teachers, fieldwork leaders, outdoor instructors and youth workers.
The Off-Site Safety Management course (OSSM) was designed in response to concerns about safety in off-site activities. It addresses legislation in this area alongside practical scenarios to explore the application of this legislation. The OSSM course will be appropriate for those working in a range of different situations where they are responsible for taking children/young people/adults out of their everyday environments (e.g. on geography or environmental field trips, on sporting away events, on organised activities). It aims to equip attendees with the ability to apply knowledge, understanding and problem solving skills in a range of contexts.
Who is the course suitable for?
- Any adults working with young people or adults who are planning, managing or evaluating off-site activities.
- Particularly relevant for teachers, lecturers, trainers and youth workers.
- It is also relevant to those who work in organisations seeking compliance with the new British Standard, BS 8848: the specification for the provision of visits, fieldwork, expeditions, and adventurous activities, outside the United Kingdom.
- For Universities it also reflects indutry guidance such as the USHA / UCEA Guidance on Health and Safety in Fieldwork.
- There are no formal entry requirements but it may be helpful to draw on previous knowledge and experience of managing safety issues in the workplace.