New Training Expertise Business Manager Matt Ilott has just returned from leading an amazing school expedition to Cambodia with our partners at Wilderness Expertise. He’s been reflecting on one of the biggest challenges we face when working overseas – vehicle safety.
One of the hardest elements of expedition travel safety – when it can be hardest to control the team and their safety is undoubtedly when using vehicles. Splitting the team to fit into the forms of transport available, be it Tuk-Tuks, taxis or minivans can be a real challenge, with hectic roads and language barriers.
It is crucial to know what to look for when assessing the vehicle safety, the driver and their driving. So, some top tips:
- WHO is driving – select trusted drivers, get local recommendations, ensure they are licensed and fit to drive
- WHAT are they driving – is the vehicle appropriate and in good working order
- WHEN they are driving – when did the driver last take a break…
- WHERE are they driving – plan routes and avoid known hotspots, busier times of day where possible
- HOW are they driving – don’t be afraid to say STOP and get out!
If you know of a school looking for an amazing adventure next year, check out Wilderness Expertise’s outstanding school expeditions.