Winching for the workplace
A practical course looking at the safe use of winches in the work place, be that in forestry, tree surgery, waterways management. Course are offered for estate workers, utilities companies, NHS, Mountain Rescue teams, exploration companies and many others.
- Identify health and safety requirements in winching operations
- Carry out risk assessments before using a winch and equipment
- Recognise and use safe working practices for winching
- Prepare and carry out a winching operation safely
- Correct use of snatch bloks and other equipment
Training is a legal requirement if you are using winches for business purposes. The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER) require employers to provide adequate training and to ensure that winches are only operated by employees who have received appropriate training in their safe use. If you are self-employed, the regulations still apply.
This course enables operators to meet these legal requirements by understanding the principles of winching, realise the possible hazards, carry out health and safety and risk management and assess a suitable method of use to maintain personal, vehicle and contents safety.
They will also gain experience in the use of a winch for moving an object from point A to B.